Richard Martin
741 Lake Lemar Road
Reidsville, North Carolina 27320

Hello to all you bear hunters. By the time you receive this month's copy of Full Cry our August 11th Western North Carolina pig picking fund raiser and get together will be history. I hope all of you made this event. I know we had plenty to eat and a lot of stories were told. It's like Jerome Barr said one time after he had been on the phone for an hour or so talking to three different hunters. "I've hunted so hard for the last hour and a half I'm about worn out. I believe I'll go take a nap." That's the way most of us will be after this get-together.
On another note, Jim Noles tells me that the second quarter newsletter (the one you should have received in June) will be sent out the last week of July. I know it will be worth waiting for. Hopefully, the next one will be on time and in your hands in September. We are now in the planning stage to see if we want to have a bear bay in October. If we do, it will be about October 6.
Now for what I thought was a funny story. Matt Nelson told me about a friend of his who is a real good hunter but has little experience turkey hunting. This guy always depended on Matt to do all the calling as Matt is a good turkey caller. It seems that Matt and this unnamed member of NCBHA had permission to hunt a big piece of woods. This block was divided by a road. They always hunted the left side since it was easier walking and good hunting and had killed a couple of turkeys already on that side. One day Matt had to work so our unnamed friend decided to hunt by himself. He also decided to hunt the block of woods on the right since he had heard a turkey gobble over there the last time he had hunted this area. So our friend goes into the new section of woods before daylight and sets down and at first yelps the hunter calls and the gobblers answer but won't come any closer. He decides to sneak up on them. He moves 50 yards, calls, and gobblers answer. He keeps moving, calling, and gobblers still answering. He finally decided that the turkeys are still on the roost. As he gets closer, he can see through the woods that the turkeys are roosting in what appears to be a clearing of some kind. He crawls closer and finally can see a turkey in a tree in the clearing, and lo and behold, the other gobbler is roosting in the next tree. Both birds are now only 50 yards away.
Now he is like a lot of people; he gets greedy. He wants to kill both of these toms. He knows he is going to have to be quick to get both birds. He takes a bead on the biggest bird first. He shoots and the first gobbler falls out stone dead. Quickly he shoots at the second gobbler which comes out wounded, flopping around trying to run off, so our hero takes off in a dead run to catch this crippled bird. As he breaks out into the clearing at full speed, something catches under his chin and flips him over on his back and knocks him out. When he comes to, a woman is standing over him with a broom demanding that not only he pay her for the tame turkeys he killed but she wants her clothes line knocked down replaced. He quietly thanked her, paid her, and went slinking away.
The story would never have come out except that the woman in the story told Matt Nelson's wife about this idiot who shot her pet turkeys. I think Matt has been paid off big time to keep this hunter's name a secret.
Another story I have for this month is a true bear hunting story about one of our members who is a for real bear hunter, Hugh L. Clark, and his sons, Roy and David. It seems that this story happened when Roy was only about 15 years old and David was eight or nine. They wanted to go hunting with Hugh L. that day so they took two or three of Hugh L.'s dogs and a couple of Roy's. They got after a bear and ran him bout two hours and he crossed the line into the Great Smoky Mtn. National Park. Hugh L. decided to leave the gun outside the park as it was a big fine to get caught with a gun in the park. They decided to go to the tree, catch the dogs, and go home. When he got close to the tree, the bear came out with the dogs right behind him. The same thing happened three more times.
Hugh L. noticed that now the bear headed back out of the park, and when he treed the next time, the bear stayed in the tree until they got there. They saw that it was about a 150 pound bear.
When they started catching the dogs, the bear couldn't stand it and came down again with dogs in hot pursuit. This time the bear decided not to tree when the dogs caught up but bayed up and was putting a serious hurt on some of the dogs. When Hugh L. and the boys got close, the bear had Roy's favorite Plott and trying to kill it. Roy was hollering, "Do something daddy. He's killing my dog."
As Hugh L. didn't have a gun and couldn't find a stick or rock big enough to knock the bear off the dog. He grabbed his pocket knife with a three and a half inch blade and stabbed the bear in the neck three or four times. Each time he was trying to cut his throat. The bear didn't take kindly to this new threat and turned on Hugh L. The dogs jumped and grabbed the bear from the rear. The bear then ran away again losing a lot of blood. When the dogs bayed him up the next time, he was getting weaker but still able to beat off the dogs. When the dogs had him bayed up tight again, Hugh L. slipped in and stabbed him again and cut his spinal cord. This paralyzed him and Hugh L. finished him off.
During all of this running, baying, treeing and fighting, the bear had worked back almost to the road so they didn't have far to carry the bear and the hurt dog. This is a true story about one of the best bear hunters of our time.
This is all for the month. I'm feel like what Jerome Barr said, "All this bear hunting has worn me out. I believe I'll go take a nap."